WineBoard
Back from Alsace - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Germany/Alsace/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: Back from Alsace (/thread-11100.html)

- Bucko - 04-10-2001

Just back from Alsace. Four clear impressions that I came away with were 1) 1999 is pretty nice for the local wines, if selective, but not up to 1998 standards 2) The food really IS better 3) I don't think that Alsace Pinot Noir will ever dominate my cellar 4) You can't go to Alsace without buying wine, no matter what your intentions (I lugged back three cases).

We ate Tart Flambe, foie gras and munster cheese until we popped. We loved the pastoral countryside views and the cathedral at Strasbourg.

The visits to Weinbach, Schoffit, Kuntz Bas, Trimbach and Boxler were real highlights. Wine friends were right -- give them a chance and they will keep pouring -- 17 wines at Schoffit alone.

The restaurants we dined at were just stunning, none with stars on them, and the prices were embarrassingly cheap compared to the USA. The best value to me was Sarment d'Or in Riquewihr. Le Clou in Strasbourg was a delight. Munster cheese was made for Gewurztraminer, which made me a very happy boy.

If you get the chance, GO! What an amazing wealth of foods and wines, all at values that leave me wondering why we can't do it here........

Bucko

- Innkeeper - 04-10-2001

Now you know why we fell in love with wine when we live in Nancy for two years in the early '60s. Just a 50 klick drive to those wines on weekends, and readily available in the store across the street. Of course, there were some St Emilions there too that Mrs IK fell in love with, and eventually weaned me over to the reds.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 04-10-2001).]

- Bucko - 04-10-2001

I'm envious! I tried to get stationed in Germany when I was with the military -- I got sent to Hawaii instead! People were dying to go to Hawaii and I was dying to go to Germany, so the military could have none of that, of course...... aaarrrggghhh!

Bucko

- hotwine - 04-11-2001

Welcome back, Bucko! Strasbourg was one of our favorite cities when we lived in Germany - extraordinary food and wine, and delightful people with a tolerance for Americans struggling to speak French or German. Wonderful flea market, too!

How in the world did you carry three cases of wine? The most I've managed from a trip to Germany was 19 bottles: 15 rolled up in dirty laundry in the suitcase, and four in the briefcase (one of the latter was a $45 Lafite).

- Bucko - 04-11-2001

The wife and I had 12 bottles each in two carry-ons, another dozen in the suitcase wrapped in dirty laundry. Lots of VTs and SGNs. All precious jewels, of course. :-)

Bucko

- hotwine - 04-11-2001

Wow! I hate to travel like a pack mule - usually just carry a WSJ as carry-on - but exceptions must sometimes be made. And in your case, it sounds like it was worth it!

- winoweenie - 04-11-2001

Velchomme back Her Buckmeister. Maybist youse can get the heathens back in line. WW

- hotwine - 04-11-2001

Heathens?! Who is it who's fallen on his noggin, overdosed on Slim-Fast, and ruined some perfectly good ribs with oily ole mesquite, when they really deserved the mellow fragrant smoke of South Texas live oak? Heathens?! Hmph!

Attila II

- Bucko - 04-11-2001

I abide by an old adage - never mess with the animals in the zoo...... <ahem>

Bucko