WineBoard
2001 Schmitt Sohne M-S-R Riesling Spatlese - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Germany/Alsace/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: 2001 Schmitt Sohne M-S-R Riesling Spatlese (/thread-11036.html)

- Georgie - 07-22-2003

I'm dining alone tonight and I'm glad I don't have to share this wine with anybody! I threw a chicken on the rotisserie and decided to take just a taste of this wine while the chicken is cooking. Well, the bottle is half empty and the chicken is only half cooked. This is delicious stuff! I've certainly been missing out on something wonderful until now. Who needs chicken?
alc. 7.5% $8.99

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 07-22-2003).]

- hotwine - 07-22-2003

I agree, Georgie, that one's hard to beat for QPR. Try it also with ham, Polish sausage, pork chops and turkey.

- quijote - 07-22-2003

Georgie, I've seen this one around and have thought of buying a bottle. The "spatlese" makes it sound like it's sweet; is it?

- Thomas - 07-22-2003

quijote, probably between 2 and 3 percent residual sugar by volume, and when you consider that humans begin to detect sugar at about half a percent by volume, it has a noticeable level of sugar, with acidity to offset but not completely.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 07-22-2003).]

- Georgie - 07-23-2003

Yes, it is sweet, but not sickeningly so. Try a bottle. I loved it!

- tandkvd - 07-24-2003

I wrote down some wines for my wife to pick up when she was at World Market the other day. I had wrote this one down on your recomendation Georgie. She however picked up Schmitt Sohne 2002 Qualitatswein b.a. Riesling.

It's the best SW I have had yet. We are having pork roast tomorrow. I'll have to get another bottle in Charlotte. This bottle did not last long between the both of us.

- tandkvd - 07-25-2003

The pork roast is on the grill with some squash from the garden.

I found the Spatlese today. I'm going to serve it to my wife with out telling her it is a little different from what we had last night. To see if she notices a difference. I took a little taste and did not notice much difference, although it cost $3 more than the one we had last night.

- tandkvd - 07-25-2003

Well the wife did notice right off that this was a different wine. She said it is a little sweeter and smoother. I do agree, although not that much difference. Is there a SW afficianato that can tell me whats the difference in these 2 wines?

By the way, it was great with the pork. And after dinner we were sitting on the front porch with a glass of wine and reading the paper. I looked up and a fly had dove into her wine. And my wife promptly pored it out!

The fly gave it two wings up.

- Innkeeper - 07-26-2003

Theoretically, the latter was made from riper grapes than the former. In actuality, there was probably not too much difference.

- winoweenie - 07-26-2003

Hi T. Hopefully the CB poured out the fly and NOT the wine. They don't drink much. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- tandkvd - 07-26-2003

IK, I thought that maybe the difference. I had picked up a bottle of the other Reisling as well. I don't think that there is $3 difference in the taste. Either way it's a good SW.

WW, yeah she pored out the fly and wine. She has a thing about drinking after flys.
Don't worry WW I'm not turning to the light side. I'm still a Red Man.

- hotwine - 07-26-2003

OK, late-bloomers, check out http://www.wines.com/ubb2/Forum21/HTML/000033.html.

Don't overlook the Auslese. Nice when you have a slightly sweet sidedish, such as applesauce with pork chops.

- tandkvd - 07-26-2003

Hotwine, never had baked catfish, only fried salt and pepper. And only when we go out to eat. We have never done well with cooking fish at home. Except for the Mahi-Mahi steaks my mom and stepdad brought us from their fishing trip at the outer banks of NC. Cooked them on the grill with a lemon pepper marinade.
My son and I go fishing around here, but I don't eat any fish from these waters, because of high mercury levels.

I will keep in mind the Auslese when we are having such a menu.

- Georgie - 08-20-2003

Was delighted to find a bottle of this hiding in the back of the refrigerator! Went nicely with BBQ pork chops.

- quijote - 08-20-2003

I forgot to mention that I tried some of this right before I left for Florida--very tasty stuff, and went well with eel roll sushi that I bought at the market. Thanks for the rec!

- Innkeeper - 07-13-2004

Last time we were in the Bangor Base Exchange where there is a paltry selecton of wines, my dearest spotted this one (the '02) in its luringly blue bottle for eleven bucks. 8% alcohol. We popped it last night with grillpanned pork chops and left over veggies. The pork handled the sweetness.

My rule of thumb in the past has been to go one degree sweeter with M-S-R Rieslings than with Rhinegau or Rhinehessen. This one was just as sweet as those Spatleses from the latter two regions normally go.

Considering the value of the dollar these days, this is still a pretty good value.