WineBoard
Little Gems Once Lost - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Germany/Alsace/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: Little Gems Once Lost (/thread-11029.html)

- hotwine - 02-26-2001

But now found. Moving wines from the moldy old storm cellar into the new Eurocave turned up the following that hadn't been seen for a while:

Grunhauser Herrenberg MSR Auslese, '89
Wilhelm Bergmann Rheinhesse Auslese '89
Niersteiner Gutes Domtal Rheinhesse QmP '86-'88
Neu-Bamberger Rheingrafenstein Kabinett '86

Also two that I had forgotten about that are much more recent bottlings:
Franz Kunstler Rheingau halbtrocken '96
Wehlener Klosterberg MSR Kabinett halbtrocken '96

Those from the '80's may now be so much bad vinegar. We'll see.

[This message has been edited by hotwine (edited 02-27-2001).]

- chittychattykathy - 02-27-2001

I would be willing to try all of those for you, just in case...

- hotwine - 02-27-2001

CCK, which of those you tried on your trip to Germany did you enjoy the most? Mosel? Rheingau? Rheinhessen? Franken? Or all of the above?

- Thomas - 03-01-2001

If the storage was good, I'll bet those wines are also good.

- Bucko - 03-01-2001

Mosel? Rheingau? Rheinhessen? Franken?
I am a German hound. By far, I enjoy the Mosel area the best, Rheinhessen the least, FWIW.

Bucko

- winoweenie - 03-01-2001

Of course you know my favorite is the Gewur-rino-moses-Go-Go area. Them dudes be goooood. WW

- hotwine - 03-01-2001

Yup, Gewurz be good WW, but I'm with Bucko and really favor the Mosel, even after living in the Rheinland for a couple of years. That's probably why most of those overlooked oldies are NOT Mosel - I've been shoving them aside for several years to get to the good stuff!

- Thomas - 03-02-2001

Hotwine, telling ww that a particular sw is "good stuff" isn't exactly preaching to the choir--even if it is Mosel and happens to be great stuff.

But I think I know why you did it: now that ww has admitted to a closet obsession with gw I almost believe he has been toying with our sensibilities all these months. I'll bet he has never even tasted a rw and all his great notes about Zins and Cabs come from an overactive (but quite accurate) imagination!!!!

- hotwine - 03-02-2001

How 'bout that, WW? Have you been bamboozlin' us all along, and are really a SW fan after all?

- Robban - 03-02-2001

I just love to see messages in the German wine section! When ee found 76's in 1999, most were over the hill but palatable except for the Beerenauslese which was still supurb. For me the Rhein Paltz is best - but that is MY taste - albiet flavoured by many fond memories in the area.

- chittychattykathy - 03-04-2001

Weeeell, most of my time was spent in the Mosel.
Ãœrzig, Trier, Bernkastel, Trarbach, Cochem...
So you can see that I am quite partial to Mosel wines!
There is true reasoning for spending most of my time, in while in Germany, (outside of time spent in Munich) visiting the Mosel. They are, "my kind of wines".
Mosel wines tend to be more fragrant then Rhein wines, with higher acidity. (Also they are elegant, which is all about me.) The Rhein is... hey, wait a minute, is this some kinda trick???

- Thomas - 03-04-2001

You got it cck, Mosel is feminine; Rhein is masculine--he says as he ducks from the flying objects hurled his way.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 03-04-2001).]

- winoweenie - 03-04-2001

To set it on the narrow once and for-be-it-all. One Bottle Of GW(SW) for every 100 of the colorful varietals! WWWWWW

- barnesy - 03-04-2001

Isn't this one of the signs of the apocolypse?

Barnesy

- Thomas - 03-05-2001

Has anyone seen a loose w anywhere???

- winoweenie - 03-05-2001

Sorry guys my finger freezed-up. WW

- jock - 03-05-2001

Well stored German Rieslings from good producers in good vintages will live longer than most big Calif Cabs. Even the Kabinetts.

The BAs and TBAs can be incredible. I chose a 1971 BA for my last/first wine at the change of the Millenium. I posted back in January.