WineBoard
gewurtztraminer - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Germany/Alsace/Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-23.html)
+--- Thread: gewurtztraminer (/thread-10985.html)

- TINAJ - 03-06-2002

I've been thinking about wines for summer lately. I usually drink more white wines in the warmer months, and I especially like gewurtztraminer. Does anyone have any suggestions for under $20.00 a bottle (less than $15 would even be better).

- wondersofwine - 03-06-2002

Of the American gewurztraminers I think the Fetzer is pretty tasty and it is easy to find and not expensive. For a step up in quality, try one of the big producers from Alsace such as Hugel or Trimbach. I'm not sure of prices.

- Bucko - 03-06-2002

The only great Gewurztraminers come from Alsace IMHO. The basic Trimbach is pretty nice. Boxler is worth the hunt. Deiss is usually good, as is Bott-Geyl. Schlumberger and Zind-Humbrecht as good but full-blown. Weinbach is my favorite but they can get pricy.

- Thomas - 03-07-2002

Funny you should bring it up, Bucko. Last night I tasted an Italian Gewurztraminer from Alto Adige; Terlano 1999 "Lunare"; absolutely outstanding wine--spicy, dry, vibrant, unbelievable! It retails for about $18.

- Bucko - 03-07-2002

Never seen one.....

- Thomas - 03-08-2002

I don't doubt that--these are not wines that pop up easily; it takes a true wine geek to seek them out. Alto Adige (Roberto must agree) is one of the most interesting wine regions of Italy, especially with regard to quality.

- Botafogo - 03-08-2002

There are LOTS of great Traminers in Alto Adige, Trentino and Friuli. "Gewurztraminer" is actually German for "that spicy thing from Tramin" which is the town of Tramin / Termino in Alto Adige. We always have three or four and heartily recommend them as crisper and more refreshing than the Alsatian labels and usually cheaper too.....

Roberto

- Randy Caparoso - 03-22-2002

A consideration for our friend from Newberg in Oregon (home of some wonderful wineries, like Chehalem and Rex Hill) is whether she likes them dry or slightly to medium sweet, and light to fairly full.

If you prefer them lightly sweet and medium bodied, California is for you. I'd recommend the aforementioned Fetzer, although you may like those of Thomas Fogarty, Storrs and Handley even better.

The finest light, medium sweet Gewurztraminers made in the world are from Germany. If you see one made by Weingut Pfeffingen, for instance, you're in for a special treat -- like drippingly rich, fresh lychee with rose petals. Not inexpensive, mind you (over $20 retail), but a treat nonetheless.

If you prefer DRY, and medium to full bodied, Gewurztraminers, then you should stick to Alsace, France. On top of the other recommendations, my personal favorite Alsatian producers (because of quality as well as value) include Albert Boxler and Andre Kientzler.

Italy makes them light and on the dry side. I think the Pojer & Sandri Traminer, for instance, is wonderfully fresh, fragrant, fruity, yet dry to the taste, and very reasonably priced (generally under $12, I believe).

Then there's Oregon. I've judged in the Oregon State Fair and I can't say that there's something to write home about when it comes to their dry or off-dry Gewurztraminers (of course, some of the producers would violently disagree). However, Oregon makes some incredible, sweet, "late harvest" Gewurztraminers -- more for fresh fruit and creamy desserts or sipping by themselves, but nonetheless wonderful. I strongly recommend those of Tualatin and Silvan Ridge. In fact, I once tried a Silvan Ridge "Ice Wine" (when the grapes are left so long on the vine that they freeze in the early winter) that absolutely bowled me over. As good as you-know-what!

- TINAJ - 03-25-2002

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I just got back from CA, where we tasted a bit in Lodi and the Sierra Foothills. Not any gerwurtz, but many fine reds--but that is another story. I now have my list of gerwurtz and will be reporting back throughout the summer.

- Bucko - 03-25-2002

Well at least Randy got one decent rec out of the bunch, Boxler.... ;-) Boxler is a personal favorite.

- Randy Caparoso - 03-26-2002

Lots of great Alsatian producers, Bucko... but unfortunately, lots of overpriced ones, too. Oversized, overpriced wines, no matter how wonderful, invariably start to turn me off. Besides, they're not actually good for casual "summer sipping" -- the original criteria.