WineBoard
Something to go with my Greek red wine - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Something to go with my Greek red wine (/thread-1092.html)

- KateMaine - 03-28-2003

Well, what you all said about this type of wine being few and far between to so true, for now anyways. But I have found a couple and would like to try them with the right food. First is Palivou Nemea, made from the agiorgitiko grape and is said to be dry. From what I've read it's place on a western menu is about the same as merlot. Also, I've got Achaia Clauss Imperial Mavrodafni, which is port like. I'm fairly sure that a nice dark chocolate something would be lovely with this, but do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

- Thomas - 03-28-2003

My guesses:

1. Moussaka (sp)
2. Baklava (also sp)
Proviso on #2: I tasted Mavrodafni many years ago; wouldn't say it was port-like, more syrupy.

- Drew - 03-28-2003

A big, fat, Greek wedding?????

Drew

- wondersofwine - 03-28-2003

For #2 wine:
Chocolate pudding cake where the lava-like liquid warm chocolate explosion is waiting below the spongecake-like surface. I had a delicious one at Oran Mor Restaurant on Nantucket. A google search on the web yields several recipes under steamed chocolate pudding cake or clontarf.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 03-28-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 03-28-2003

MOUSSAKA:

3 Medium eggplants peeled and sliced ½” thick
Salt
1 to 2 C Olive oil
1 C finely chopped Onion
2 lbs Lean ground lamb
1 lb can Tomatoes, drained and chopped
1 medium Tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 6 oz can Tomato paste & enough red wine to make 1 cup
1 tsp minced Garlic
1 tsp Cinnamon
½ tsp Allspice
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Salt
Pepper mill
2 C grated Kassari cheese

Salt eggplant slice and allow to drain on paper towels for 45 minutes. Pat dry. Brown slightly in just enough oil. Use sparingly. In large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven cook onions in ¼ cup of olive oil until soft. Add garlic and lamb, and brown meat over medium high heat breaking it up with wooden fork or spoon until all red turns brown. Add spices and herbs, tomatoes, and tomato paste mixture. Cook over moderate heat until mixture is “dry” and clings to spoon. Put about one cup of sauce in bottom of lasagna pan. Layer on half the eggplant, sprinkle on one third of the cheese, and add rest of meat sauce. Place remaining eggplant on top of sauce, sprinkled with another third of the cheese. Top with Sauce Besamel and rest of cheese. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, and then 15 additional minutes at 400 degrees until brown.

Sauce Besamel:

2 C Milk
1 tbl Butter
3 Eggs
¼ C Flour
½ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Nutmeg

Melt butter and stir in flour until a roux forms. Mix ½ cup milk with eggs, salt, and nutmeg. Add to roux, stirring constantly. Warm rest of milk and add, stirring until sauce is thickened.

- KateMaine - 03-29-2003

Thanks for your suggestions. I think I'll try that Mousaka recipe. I had it when I was in Greece many many years ago but it's just never come out right when I've made it with any recipe I've used. This one just sounds like it might be right.

- Thomas - 03-29-2003

The right sauce is the key...be careful with that and you'll have it.

- KateMaine - 03-29-2003

? What do you mean about the sauce?

- Innkeeper - 03-29-2003

He means follow the instuctions carefully.