WineBoard
Korbel Brut California Champagne - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Champagne/Sparkling Wine (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: Korbel Brut California Champagne (/thread-10841.html)

- mrdutton - 02-02-2000

Okay bear with me here and I'll try to describe this as best I can.

Tonight I opened a bottle of Korbel Brut that has been in our refrigerator in the garage for the past 12 years (Since September 1987) as best as I can remember.

During that time we've had only two significant power losses during which I never opened the door to the refrigerator (which is always packed full of various foodstuffs, sodas, wine and beer). The internal temperature of the 'fridge when running is about 38 degrees F.

Prior to that the Korbel had not been refrigerated and I really am having a difficult time remembering exactly when the bottle was acquired. It was either in 1983 for our 5th wedding anniversary or in 1987 for our 10th (which would have been in May while we were still living in Groton, CT). Anyway from the time I got the bottle until September 1987 when we moved to Virginia Beach, the wine had not been refrigerated.

The top of the cork was mouldy and when I first twisted the bottle to remove the cork, there was a brief "pheweeeet" of gas. At that point I thought "This stuff is a gonner."

Removing the cork was a real chore, it did not come out easily and required a bit of force to twist it out. When I finally got it out there was another non-descript "pheweeet" of gas.

However, when I poured the first glass half-full, the contents fizzed to the top with a frothy head. I then refilled the flute to about 3/4 full, knocking back the head, and allowed the wine to settle.

It is very light golden in color and has a significant number of very small bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass.

The effervesence is readily apparent on the tongue. The wine is fruity - green apples I think, but am not really sure. The wine is, to me, light to medium in body. It is not overly dry and there is a hint of sweeetness to it.

I am at a loss to adequately describe the nose, other than I seem to be getting a slight oakyness to the nose.

It seems to me that the Korbel is quite drinkable and is holding its own. Its really rather good to me.

The label has the following numerals punched into it: 6040777.

Is there anyone who can place any kind of significance to that number? Can the age of the wine be determined from that? Is it is old as I think it is and still good considering the way I've handled it? I am certain that it has been in the fridge for at least the past 12 years.

Someone here or on another wine related web site has said that Korbel is quite a good sparkling wine that compares well to all of the better California Champagnes and even does well by itself compared to the wines from Champagne.

My experience with sparkling wine and Champagne is limited. I've had a few bottles of 1988 and 1990 Dom, a few bottles of 1988, 1990 and 1993 Perrier-Jouet Fleur de Champagne (which I liked much better than the Dom), Moet & Chandon White Star, Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial, Piper-Heidsieck Extra Dry, Perrier-Jouet Grand Brut, Iron Horse 1990 Blanc de Blancs LD (WOW was this one impressive!), and 1990 de Venoge Champagne de Princes.

The Korbel I am drinking now is distinctly different from the others I've tried above, but it is pleasing to my palette. What do you think? Is there something wrong with my palette or should I buy some more Korbel?

- Thomas - 02-03-2000

You answered your own question: if Korbel is pleasing to your palate, then drink more of it. No one can tell you what tastes good to your palate.

Incidentally, that Iron Horse--superb stuff.

- Winent - 02-03-2000

Put me on the Iron Horse bandwagon as well!

- mrdutton - 02-04-2000

Foodie, thanks for the reply to my posting. However you didn't answer my real question.

I am trying to find out about how old that bottle of fizz was.

Is there anyway that the numerals embossed on the label can be converted into useful information?

They are: 6040777

Who might I ask to find out?

Thanks,

Michael R. Dutton

- mrdutton - 02-04-2000

Never mind............. I got the answer to my question from KORBEL themselves:

Dear Mr. Dutton:
You're assumption that your bottle of Brut is about 10-12 years old is correct - the lot number indicates that it was bottled on April 7, 1987 (6 = 1987; 040 = April 7). We hope that the flavor was still enjoyable after this period of time!
Sincerely,
Kari McEnespy

[img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] Just thought you'd like to know.