WineBoard
Best sparkling wine under $15 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Champagne/Sparkling Wine (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: Best sparkling wine under $15 (/thread-10713.html)

Pages: 1 2

- summa - 08-07-2001

Best sparkling wine under $15? Region of no consequence.

[This message has been edited by summa (edited 08-07-2001).]

- Drew - 08-08-2001

Hands down the best available sparkler for $9.99 is Francois Montand blanc de blanc, France.

Drew

- Scoop - 08-08-2001

In general, Cava (a Spanish sparkler made in the Champagne-style, produced primarily in Catalonia) delivers tremendous value. Of course there are the mega-producers, like Freixenet, but there are also smaller ones (Juve E Champs) and smaller labels from the big houses. One of these, Cristalino, retails for $10, and was a hit a recent tasting: nice small bubbles, dry, toasty and grapey on the palate. Great with tapas.

Cheers,

Scoop

- Botafogo - 08-08-2001

I would have to violently dissagree:

due to drastic currency devaluation, the best bubbly deals are from Australia these days. Taltarni Brut Tache (made by the Portet Brothers who own Napa's Clos du Val) has routinely shown well in International tastings against big gun French Champagnes and blown Dom Perignon off the table at a local food critic's New Year's Eve party here and it is all of $11.99!!!!!!!!

Plus, you can get outstanding Prosecco at those prices instead of bottom feeding on low end methode Champenoise wines....

Roberto

- Thomas - 08-08-2001

Bellenda Prosecco, at $13 retail, is a sparkling sparkler that outdoes many other bubblies.

- Scoop - 08-08-2001

No need to get violent, Botofogo, but Cava (like the Cristalino) is a solid choice at that price point. And the euro's (lower)value against the dollar has helped on the price front, too (the Australian dollar is not alone!).

The Prosecco mentioned above is also a very worthy (and tasty) suggestion.

Scoop

- Drew - 08-08-2001

The problem is, Boto, that there are NO stores like yours Anywhere near my location and residing in a Felony State it's impossible to acquire wines that you routinely brush your teeth with. Give us a break please.... You’re blessed to be where you live and work and savor the experiences that you do. (Rant over!)

Drew

- Botafogo - 08-08-2001

Drew, I should only talk about wines that are available in your neighborhood? To be harsh, as Reagan used to say, "then vote with your feet!". But, even in Maryland you can get good Prosecco, surely, and I am willing to bet that Clos du Val has a distributor?

And, to be fair to me, you also are not the one who asked the initial VERY open ended question of "what is the best sparkler under $15, region not important?". It was Summa....

Cheers, no harm no foul, Roberto

PS: When Johnny Guitar Watson sang "I want to make violent love to you!" I don't think he had plans of beating the girl up, it's a figure of speech.....

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 08-08-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 08-08-2001).]

- Scoop - 08-09-2001

No worries, Botafogo, I wasn't taking you literally (Hey, who threw that empty bottle of Australian sparkling wine!?).

Scoop

- Drew - 08-09-2001

Sorry bout the rant Boto, I was bottom feeding on a low end methode Champenoise wine and stirred up some sludge in the bottle that made me nausious when I read certain posts. Summa, disregard my recommendation unless serving to lawyers with catfish or carp.

Drew

- mrdutton - 08-09-2001

Well catfish is good. I love it for breakfast with grits. But I wouldn't serve carp to my worst enemy...... point made Drew!!

- summa - 08-19-2001

What's wrong with an open ended question [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] ?

- winoweenie - 08-19-2001

Summa, having been in the toolies for two weeks I've returned and find what looks like to me we're doing a whale of a lot of work in derned near every field of wines for you for either a school project or some kind of research. Fess up young man, what the blue-blazes are you up to? No more answers from the weenier until you give yours. WW Finally found the post where you fess up to the fact you're getting thousands of dollars of free consulting fees por nada. There are several very informed people on the board who charge for this service. What are you planning as a payback for this????

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 08-19-2001).]

- Innkeeper - 08-19-2001

WW, he's been out the bizz for awhile, and is the new wine steward for a property in the Carolina Mts, and we's helping him with the list.

- winoweenie - 08-20-2001

Looks like to me IK that we's putting his list together for him. WW

- barnesy - 08-21-2001

Maybe he can wing us a meal if we are ever in his neighborhood.

Barnesy

- summa - 08-24-2001

Ackkk Sorry just caught this...Yes I'm "the Wine guy" for a restaurant in the North Carolina Mountains, 34 years old and not in school, and jumped back into the biz after close to a decade gone from it.

I Openly admit to picking your brains, as I've not the time to try first hand enough wines to put together a list of 200+ wines by, well Tuesday [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] . As to putting my list together, I only wish you could, the owner has been here for 4 years, and though he has some Great philosophies, such as selling restaurant wine at only 1.5 of wholesale, he also handed me a list with the most route and popular names I've ever seen. So these suggestions are for my personal edification, and for the future, as much as for this current list.

In fact though, I've convinced the owner to go in house with the printing, so the list will be much more flexible and I'll be able to go from my own palette, with some help from you guys, once I get back into the swing of things and spend more time with the distributors.

We have just converted to a country french menu with most everything being in house (read from scratch). We also sell all our wines at close to retail, and have an additional 700+ wines in our cellar/store, so I'm just in over my head trying to tread water.

As to payback, well first I will post my first two editions of the wine list on the board, or email them to any who request it...(it's in publisher form right now), and I may be able to offer something so far as the restaurant is concerned, though I'd have to discuss it with the owner first. I'd have a strong discussion with him though, and maybe even foot the bill myself if any of you actually show up here. Hell I got into this because I have always loved wines, and always will. Honestly, I'd not even given a thought to wine consulting, and though I've gone through thousands of wines due to some lucky circumstances, I still consider myself quite ignorant and am always willing to share what I know, and am always looking to learn. To this end, I will also be here for awhile, and as I try more wines and get rolling, I'll be more than willing to offer any knowledge I may gain as well.

[This message has been edited by summa (edited 08-24-2001).]

- winoweenie - 08-25-2001

Point made, well-outlined and received. My comment, while semi-serios, was made with the tip of the tongue in cheek. Lately we've had many students wanting us to do their research and papers for them. No-one benefits from that. Sounds like you do have your hands full, but if the location is as I envision it and the food sings, it should prove to be a doozy! Have fun, drink lots and we'll keep giving you our myopic view of wine from the scorched earth. WW

- summa - 08-26-2001

Thankee, bit frazzzled here. Believe me been doing tons of research on my own, that's how I bumped into this great board to begin with. If you saw me running into the restaurant everyday with all my lists, notes, etc. you'd probably laugh. The food here has suddenly jumped up light years (as I'd hoped), and I now find my self running to catch up, just wish it were the beginning, not the end of our high season.(I'd been a waiter in a French fine dining restaurant for 7 years, so I know what a change we've just experienced.) I have to say though, within two weeks WW it will probably be as good as you've imagined. The location is incredible, the environment is good, the equipement is first rate and now the chef is something special.(Where else could you go to a restaurant and pay $35 for a bottle of Neyer's merlot? or $40 for '97 Merryvale cab?)

I completely agree so far as doing a research paper is concerned, nothing is learned and nothing sticks by taking the easy way out, doing a lot of reading in addition to trying wines here. I'm admittedly very California slanted here(because of former experience), though as my palette has matured I've found myself more and more attracted to European wines, as I've stated in other threads. Funny, Half of me has a great appreciation for California red zinfandel, (talk about your big unsubtle wine), and another half just loves Alcasion whites and French Burgandies...multiple personality disorder maybe??

Getting up to bout a dozen wines a week, and rising, so I should have some good notes in the near future.

[This message has been edited by summa (edited 08-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by summa (edited 08-25-2001).]

- winoweenie - 08-26-2001

Sopunds like the ships' well on course and you're putting up lots of sail. ( How the blazes I used this analogy beats me and would give my boat-owning friends belly-laughs.) Be sure to act on my E-Mail. WW There's a great aricle by Dan Berger about restaurant wine pricing in this months Undergropund Wine Journal. ( e-mail...UWJ@svcplus.com )

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 08-26-2001).]