WineBoard
Joseph Perrier - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Champagne/Sparkling Wine (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-20.html)
+--- Thread: Joseph Perrier (/thread-10633.html)

- barnesy - 06-19-2001

Joseph Perrier NV
Cuvee Royale

Pale straw. Lots of tiny bubbles in tight streams. Strong yeasty/bready aromas with the same on the palate. Good length to the finish. Medium/full body. Great bottle for 22 bucks.

My wife is quite cute when I announce I have champagne...she asks if I got "the good stuff" refereing to the NV Pol Roger. Oh well, I will keep trying new champagnes till I find another one she really likes.

Barnesy

- tomstevenson - 07-13-2001

Have you tried any Oregon fizz? Specifically Argyle 1995 Brut (90 points) or Argyle 1995 Knudsen Vineyards (91 points)?

Tom

- barnesy - 07-13-2001

I have tried the '95 at their tasting room. It was pretty good. I just figure I can get better champagne for the same price.

Barnesy

- tomstevenson - 07-15-2001

At $21.50 (Argyle Brut) it is pretty difficult to get the same sort of quality from Champagne, although at $35 (Knudsen Vineyard) it is, admittedly, easier, but there are only half-a-dozen or so sparkling wine producers making this sort of quality outside of Champagne itself. And to have one of them on your doorstep is a privilege. The 1995s are not, however, regularly available at the tasting counter, having moved onto 1996 for the single-vineyards and 1997 for the Brut. I'd be interested to know what Champagnes you can get for $21.50 that are better than Argyle 1995.
Tom

[This message has been edited by tomstevenson (edited 07-15-2001).]

- Botafogo - 07-15-2001

Tom, we are offering Beaumont de Crayeres Brut Reserve, Angeline Godel Grand Cru Blanc de Blanc at UNDER $20 and A. Robert Grand Cru Le Mesnil Blanc de Blanc at $24, so I would dissagree re what you can get from Champagne. We DO offer the Argyle and it is yummy but the sales speak for themselves: two PALLETS of Beaumont de Crayeres in June, two CASES of Argyle.......

Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 07-15-2001).]

- tomstevenson - 07-17-2001

Good prices Roberto, but they are not 90-point wines, let alone 91 points. The A. Robert 1996 gets 88 points in my next edition, but you would be charginging much more for a vintage. Christ, I hate talking points. I don't want to go this route! I'm just trying to equate quality. A number of (very nice) US based reviews of my books have qualified their praise by stating that I'm biased towards Champagne because I don't give any US wines top scores, but that is simply because in general they do not compare. What I'm saying with these specific wines (and Le Reve mentioned in another thread) is that they do compare. They compare with some of the best that Champagne has to offer. I doubt that you would be able to get two pallets of Knudsen Vineyard, but it is a shame that sparkling wine aficionados in the US cannot be more supportive of the truly great sparkling wines produced in their own country. In terms of pure (sparkling wine) potential, I think that New Zealand and Tasmania are intrinsically superior to either California or Oregon, yet Roeder Estate, Domaine Carneros (Le Reve only) and Argyle consistently outperform most of the fizz coming from those two areas and are the equivalent of Pire, which is currently the greatest ANZ has to offer. Play the anthem and raise the Stars & Stripes and everyone in the US seems so patriotic, but after the music has stopped and the flag has been rfolled up, out comes the French Champagne! I'm not nocking Champagne. I love the stuff, but you haver home grown products that are doing better than they really should. I know you're proud of that Roberto, but somehow you have to get your best fizz customers equally enthused. 'Scuse any typos; in a rush and no time time to edit.
Tom

- mrdutton - 07-17-2001

Very, very interesting discussion. Thanks for the info from both Tom and Roberto.

Tom, been a while. Welcome back! (PS: In case you don't remember, I'm the guy with the dog named BUDDY!) (Grin)

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 07-17-2001).]

- tomstevenson - 07-18-2001

Mr Dutton I do indeed rememkber you and of course Buddy! I also remember that you disappear for lengths of time too - something else in common!
Tom