WineBoard
Big ol' steak with Sterling Napa CS - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Big ol' steak with Sterling Napa CS (/thread-1062.html)

- hotwine - 03-24-2002

Dinner with friends at a steakhouse downtown last night, and noticed they had the Sterling Napa Cab by the glass on the winelist at $9 per. Saw the opportunity to try this one that WW and Drew, and probably others, have commented upon. Must say, we were impressed. Excellent variental character with abundant fruit and the right amount of alcohol. Have no idea of the vintage, but suspect a '99. NOW we'll pick up a few to lay down.
The steak was a NY strip, cooked to perfection, gorgeous in appearance but disappointing in flavor to this ol' hoss. High-temp oven cooking insures consistency but comes up short for taste, especially with feedlot beef. Much prefer our own grass-fed critters seared over oak, with artistry and a touch of blind luck determining the outcome.

- Drew - 03-25-2002

Gil, I'm surprised that you'd order the steak knowing your background and relationship with beef....seems like a set up for a let down. Glad the wine was good though.

Drew

- hotwine - 03-25-2002

You're right, Drew, and if I could have figured out a way to gracefully decline, I would have. But it was kind of a command performance, with wife doin' the commandin' and me doin' the performin'. ("You WILL go, and you WILL enjoy it!", that kind of thing.)

NotverywelltrainedbearinTexas
("If that valet kid trashes my truck, I'll whup his arse! ...just cleaned the manure off the floormats...")

- Thomas - 03-25-2002

valet??? I make it a point NOT to eat at a place that presents me with valet parking...just a general sense that I ain't gonna like their attitude! Sounds to me like Hotwine is in my camp on that one.

- hotwine - 03-25-2002

Definitely, Foodie. Too often your vehicle is returned with the stereo volume maxed on punk rock, food wrappers all over the seat, seat position & mirrors totally whacked, and still the little snot comes at you with his hand out. Although this time, I've not found any latent damage....yet. Maybe he didn't spend much time in it due to the doormat aroma....har!

- mrdutton - 03-31-2002

I eat on the fly a lot and I like chinese take out.

Other day I had steamed asparagus with scallops in a seafood sauce along with fried rice.

I placed the container on the floor in the front on the center hump. While rounding a corner the container tipped over and a decent portion of the juice from the container spilled onto the floor mat on the passenger side.

Now the car has not been moved since Friday evening and has been sitting in the driveway with the windows up.

What fine aroma will greet my nose this coming Monday morning when I have to go back to work.......?

Where is that valet when you need him. Your comments are so right on. I never understand why the mirrors, the seat and the radio have to be changed from the owner's desired positions to whatever just to park the car.

Should this be in rants and raves?

GRIN

- winedope - 03-31-2002

don't like valet service, but if I ever ended up using one they'd probably croak- either at having to drive my ride of choice ('89 pickup), or at trying to fit in my seat ( I'm 4'10'')!!! PS- Mr D- had a similar experience with Chinese chicken wings- Ugh!!! WD

[This message has been edited by winedope (edited 03-31-2002).]

- winoweenie - 04-01-2002

MisserD happy day ater the bunny. If you can't get the odor out let me know. I used to distribut a product called Mystical and IMHO it's the greatest odor ELIMINATOR and carpet cleaner ever made. I ended up with a palate in my storage shed after the IRS took control of the co for some minor(grin) reporting infractions. It'll actually eliminate cat and doggie urine odors from carpet even after a year. WW

- wondersofwine - 04-01-2002

Sometimes I welcome valet service for the convenience of not having to circle around looking for parking or hike back two blocks to the restaurant. Even better is service at Boccaccio's in the Little Italy section of Baltimore where you can call from an Inner Harbor Hotel and have them pick you up and deliver you to the restaurant and provide a ride home (also allows you to drink more wine!)

- Drew - 04-01-2002

Also helps to get you to and from without getting mugged....you don't want to be walking from the Inner Harbor to Little Italy.

Drew