WineBoard
6 Spanish hummers that not only do the Flaminco - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Spanish Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: 6 Spanish hummers that not only do the Flaminco (/thread-10519.html)

- winoweenie - 04-15-2006

well but sing their booties off.
2004 Tres Picos. Borsau Grenacha. Killer juice ennyways you judge it. Deep color. Spicy, Plummy, Grapy, nose that goes over on the palate in spades. Has the structure to improve another 5-8. 91/91. 14.5% alc. 11.49.
2004 Vinos Sin-Ley Garnacha. Solid core of red and black fruits. Lovely mouth-feel. Solid center and a long 4-lapper finish. 90/91. 14.5% alc. 13.99.
2004 Las Rocas Garnacha. Another solid performer that's like the Energizer bunny. Lost the price tag on the remaining bottle but guestimate in the 10-buck range. 89/90. 14.5% alc.
2003 Higueruela Coschecha Almansa. No ideer what the grape is on this sucker but wham-so-ebberly sure tastes tasty.Medium ruby. Nose of flowers, red and black fruits with a tad od cinnamon. Soft entry, a mid-weight center, and a solid 3&3/4ths lapper finish. No noticible tannins. 89/92. 8.99 by ther box. 13% alc.
2004 Barahonda Montastrell Yecla. And the hits jes' keep on keepin-on. More black fruits than reds but a solid core of tasty spicy notes that overlay lovely earthy notes. Medium deep ruby. Solid entry, weighty center and a 3&3/4ths lapper finish. Has some supple tannins in the back. Could improve in the next 2-3. 89/90. 9.99 by the box. 14.5% alc.
2004 Mencia Berirgo Luna Beberide. Brite medium ruby. Solid core of red fruits with earthy, spicy notes. More grip than others but with nice balance. Solid entry, good center and a neat 4-lapper finish. Needs another 1-3 but is tasty now. 90/91. 10.99 13.5% alc. Have another of each of these suckers to try before ordering but looks like as tough a decision as grabbing a CD of Ella or Sarah. WW

- VouvrayHead - 04-15-2006

tres picos is one of my favorite wines.
glad to hear 04 is rockin' along

- brappy - 04-15-2006

The Las Rocas I've seen (but not tried) for 8.99/btl. If I'm not mistaken, the Vinos Sin-Ley comes as 4 different wines. They are noted as G2, G3, G4, and G5. I'm curious, if I'm thinking of the right wine, which one did you have?

- Drew - 04-16-2006

The Vinos Sin-Ley Garnacha does come in 4 different wines and they're all nice but for the value I think the G-3 and G-4 are the best QPR. I'm already on my second box of Los Rocas...beautious stuff for $7 by the case here. The Higueruela that is available here is the 2005 and is wonderful. A little softer than the Los Rocas and shows a little more red fruit nuances and, yes, does show a hint of cinnamon...$10 here. You all know I've been doing cartwheels over the Barahonda for months now. Tis one of the best wines I've had for $8. If you find the Barahonda try to find it's big brother the Bellum Providencia, 100% old vine monastrell, it's the best $15 bottle of wine I've ever had. Most of these wines are imported by OLE, MANHASSET, NY.

DRew

- winoweenie - 04-16-2006

The one I had is the G-5. Dint' know them numberz meant diddly. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- brappy - 04-16-2006

Yep, I'd say Ole Imports is one of the best new comers out of Spain in quite some time. I've got 3 mixed cases coming just from Ole Imports this week; Can't wait.....

- winoweenie - 04-16-2006

Opened the 2nd of the Tres Picos for lunch. Paid a lil' bit more attention than the 1st. Beside the fruits, etc, I found a noticible soft menthol addition. This sucker will be in the cellar ASAP. WW

- winoweenie - 04-18-2006

Had the 2nd of the Barahonda yesterday for lunch. Have no ideer what the blue-blazes a Monastrell be 'cept it do make tasty juice. This bottle seemed more expansive on the finish than the first. Must bump it up a notch to a solid 90. WW

- hotwine - 04-18-2006

Believe Monastrelle to be the Spanish name for the Mourvedre grape.

- redsauced - 04-18-2006

WW

Enjoying some Tres Picos right now, thanks. My local shop suggested I also try:

Celler de Capcanes Mas Donis Barrica (Montsant)10.99
I'd appreciate a preview if anyone has notes, also a quick lesson on Montsant might broaden my horizons. Thanks in advance.

- dananne - 04-18-2006

If you do a search, I think I posted on the '01 favorably a while back. The '03 is the one I'm seeing on the shelves, so I'm assuming that's the one you've got. If it's like the '01, expect a deeply colored wine showing dark fruits, an earthy/mineral note, and some oak and dusty tannins on a long finish. Splash decanting would probably be good. It's a good P/Q wine, and I think it was rated pretty highly, too. I've got a few bottles, but unfortunately have not opened any yet.

Montsant is a newer D.O. that curves around Priorat. Predominantly, it is old vine Garnacha, with some Monstrell, Syrah, Tempranillo, and local varieties. Newer plantings include some Merlot and Cab. The Mas Donis is about 80% old vine Garnacha/20% Syrah.

- Drew - 04-19-2006

Woops, my bad, I just realized that I got my Higueruelas mixed up! I thought all mine were 05's but the one I posted on was an 03. Popped an 05 and while similar to the 03 the 05 shows more red fruit nuances and not as deep or complex as the 03. Still a nice wine.

Drew

- winoweenie - 04-19-2006

Had the Las Rocas yesterday. Also found the receipt and Vintags' price is 6.99 so kick that sucker up a notch. What a solid bottling for this money. Opened a bottle of the Mencia and the hummer was corked! Been so long since I had one that I thot me ole taster had fallen asleep from lack of use.WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Kcwhippet - 04-19-2006

Somehow I can't believe your taster would ever suffer from underuse.

- winoweenie - 04-19-2006

Had the last of the Sin-ley today. A really nice bottling that should improve for the next2-4. No change in scoring. WW

- brappy - 04-19-2006

Couldn't get any of the Sin-Ley wines; at least from the supplier. Will post on the rest in the next few weeks.