WineBoard
Holiday Meals + Wine = Confused - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Holiday Meals + Wine = Confused (/thread-1051.html)

- BluDev25 - 12-15-2007

Hello everyone,

I’m an occasional drinker who is interested in acquainting myself with the wine concept. Tonight my wife and I are hosting a mid-holiday dinner for some friends we’ve grown up with and would like to touch it up with something more than just water, lemonade and tea.

My wife is preparing an herb-crusted turkey along with the usual: cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn and green beans; however, we’re also trying something new and are adding homemade crab-cakes to the lineup.

Considering that we’ve already put a good bit of money into the meal, I don’t want to go out and buy some pricey wine that people may or may not enjoy, so I’m thinking perhaps labels under $20 if at all possible, and 2 or 3 choices. Could anyone make some suggestions that the local (south-central PA) liquor store may carry?

And off the top of my head (just to show how new I am to all of this), I was thinking something like pinot grigio to fit with the crab cakes and something sweeter to go with the turkey and cranberry sauce, like a white zinfandel… So how far off am I?

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

- Innkeeper - 12-15-2007

Hi Mike, and welcome to the Wine Board. Don't how many people you are taking about. Plan on a bottle for every four people. I think Pinot Noir and Riesling will cover all your bases. Get a slightly off dry Riesling. Your local state store should give you a good selection in your price range.

- BluDev25 - 12-15-2007

Hi Innkeeper,

Thanks for the tips. There will be a total of 8 people seated for dinner so I will go with two bottles

Will the brands make any difference? That is another thing I am not too familiar with or know how to judge. Any suggestions there?

- Innkeeper - 12-15-2007

Meridian Central Coast Pinot Noir is nice and widely distributed. For the Riesling look for a German Spatlese. The folks at the liquor store should be able to help if you run into trouble.

- Drew - 12-15-2007

Two bottles for 8 at holiday time is not going to be enough. You should figure at least four bottles. Also suggest a red zinfandel with the turkey and fixens.

Drew

- BluDev25 - 12-18-2007

I just wanted to thank you both for the input. Innkeeper, the Riesling provided a delightful introduction to the meal and the Pinot Noir was a great compliment to the turkey.

Also, I picked up four bottles as Drew suggested, to play it safe, and boy was I glad I did! The wine went over so well that we emptied them all.

- wondersofwine - 12-18-2007

Are you a Duke grad? Two of my nephews are but I attended University of Nebraska and University of Michigan.

- Innkeeper - 12-18-2007

Glad you enjoyed the wines. Do you remember what brands you ended up with?