WineBoard
2007 Atalaya, Almansa, Spain - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Spanish Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: 2007 Atalaya, Almansa, Spain (/thread-10493.html)

- wondersofwine - 06-01-2009

Bodegas Atalaya, DO Almansa
Jorge Ordonez Selections Imported by Tryon Distributing Co., Charlotte, NC
14% abv
I believe the Nantucket Wine Festival had a lunch or dinner with wines from Jorge Ordonez Selections but I decided this year that the lunches and dinners were beyond my budget so I made my own arrangements except for the special dinner at Figs at 29 Fair (Todd English.)
Ordered this wine after the Spanish wine tasting at Fayetteville Wine Society. One site has it on sale for $12.98 (regular price $17.99)
Could also appear in Best Buy Deals and Steals.
Castilla La Mancha region of Spain, east of the La Mancha DO. First release of this blend of Monastrell, Garnacha Tintorera and other red grapes. Aged eight months in French and American oak. WA 91 points from Jay Miller who says it can evolve for another 2-3 years. Garnacha Tintorera (also called Alicante) has red flesh and imparts lots of color, flavor and tannins to the blends. It appears to be unrelated to the Garnacha Tinta (Grenache grape). Received ratings of 86-90 on CellarTracker with an average of 87 or 88 points.

Dark opaque purple color. Exhibits viscosity. Nose of dark plums, and dark berries. Quite aromatic. On the palate, rich fruit without being over the top. Any oak treatment (and the notes indicate it does have some oak aging) is integrated and remains in the background. Medium to long finish. Very attractive and easy drinking with beef dishes. I had it with Angus beef top sirloin filet and hash browns seasoned with garlic salt and dried basil.
I may have to purchase more than my initial two bottles to see how this ages over 3 or 4 more years. I would probably give it 87 or 88 points judged on its own merits (very good) but possibly 90 or 91 against its competition from Almansa. I haven't had any other wines from that region to compare but this seems like it might be an outstanding example. And good QPR.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 06-01-2009).]

- Kcwhippet - 06-01-2009

WoW, Was Jorge there at the Wine Festival? If so, I wish I had known of this before. Jorge is a great friend of our GM, and we could probably have secured a seat for you as a courtesy.

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 06-02-2009).]

- wondersofwine - 06-03-2009

I'm fairly certain he was present, KC. I wish I had known too if it would have meant a courtesy ticket!

- wondersofwine - 08-17-2009

Bumped this up because I see it is offered in the Spanish sampler six-pack that Alex is selling. I'm tempted to order the six-pack or some of the Lopez de Heredia Tondonia Rioja Reserva (2000).