WineBoard
Marques de Murrieta Ygay 1995 Pratum Lagareta - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Spanish Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: Marques de Murrieta Ygay 1995 Pratum Lagareta (/thread-10464.html)

- quijote - 05-10-2003

Just finished the last drops of this ruby-purple marvel, and I'm jonesing for more. What a gorgeous wine! Juicy plums and a hint of spice on the nose came through on the palate, and a white pepper finish lingered for minutes. This was an incredibly smooth wine--very approachable and delicious! 13% Alc. $22.

[This message has been edited by quijote (edited 05-10-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 05-10-2003

Price? Always include the price or at least a good guess, please!

- Thomas - 05-10-2003

quijote, did you know that the term "jones" to describe a deep desire or need came from Great Jones Street in Manhattan, where heroin junkies used to hang out?

Fabulous language, English!

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 05-10-2003).]

- dananne - 05-10-2003

quijote: Have you had any of the Ygay Gran Reservas from Murrieta? I posted on the 1994 recently. Have not had the Pratum yet, but will definitely look for it!

Also, Murrieta makes a very approachable, new international style wine now for about $10 called Neonato. If you see it, pick up a bottle and let me know how you think it is. I believe I prefer their old style Riojas, but I liked it very much also.

- quijote - 05-10-2003

>>IK, thanks for the coaching--I've added price info to the post.

>>Foodie, I didn't know that at all. I first heard the term from a graduate student years ago, and thought it had something to do with Quincy Jones! In any case, the word really fits my take on the wine; after drinking the last drops I started plotting how I might score some more so late at night!

>>Dananne, I haven't tried the Gran Reservas, but I'm now definitely planning to do so. I hope I can find them around here! I've seen the Neonato in several wine shops around here; M. de M. seems to be marketing it as sort of a "new wave" wine. I almost bought one a couple of weeks ago, but I'll go ahead and buy one this week.

- wondersofwine - 05-12-2003

What are the grapes is the wine? Are they part of the name on the bottle?

- Innkeeper - 05-12-2003

From the discussion is sounds like a Rioja. Therefore the primary grape would be tempranillo.

- Thomas - 05-12-2003

quijote, Bill Safire talked about 'jones' in his language column this past Sunday. He says it had to do with heroin cravings but he did not mention Great Jones Street.

I believe the term comes fom jail--he didn't say that either.

- quijote - 05-13-2003

IK has it--according to the bottle's back label, this wine is 80% tempranillo and 20% mazuelo. Isn't mazuelo the same as carignan?

- quijote - 05-13-2003

Foodie, I'll take a look for that Safire column. And exactly where is Great Jones Street, anyway? Is it called something else now?

- Thomas - 05-14-2003

Great Jones is a two-block street, between Bowery and Broadway, East Village--it's actually 3rd Street interrupted.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 05-14-2003).]