WineBoard
Borsao Garnacha - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Spanish Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: Borsao Garnacha (/thread-10429.html)

- Innkeeper - 01-02-2003

2001 Borsao, Tres Picos, Garnacha, Compo De Borja DDO ($13). You might call this an "Old Vines Grenache" because that is just what it is. For those of you who think wines from grenache are wimpy, try this one. Even though it weighs in at 14.5% alcohol, it doesn't even taste warm because of the fruit, acid, et al. Hits the nose and tongue tip with blackberries and strawberries. Nice complexity on the palate with plums, a little leather (yeah!), and a modest shot of oak. Lovely finish that lingers.

Matched splendidly with Christmas leftovers of roast goose, gravy, potato stuffing, and braised red cabbage. Vern said we should have been eating blackeyed peas and cornbread for New Years, and Mother verified that's what they had back in Georgia, but we're not superstitious.

- hotwine - 01-02-2003

No blackeyes and cornbread? My, my. It's tradition with us. Looking forward to more tonight.

Who's superstitious? It's just what normal folks are supposed to eat on New Year's, that's all.

- Auburnwine - 01-02-2003

And a mess of greens if you had hoped to make any money at all this year.

Rice, greens, ham, blackeyed peas, and cornbread (with some Scotch Bonnet pepper sauce to remind you that you are alive). This simple peasant fare is damned good once a year.

Is it true that in Maine they call grits "polenta" and charge a lot of money for it?

- Innkeeper - 01-03-2003

Actually we call grits cornmeal mush, and much prefer yellow eye beans to blackeye peas.

- zenda2 - 01-03-2003

Frankly, I agree with IK. Yellow eye beans really ARE much tastier than Black-eyed peas. But tradition is tradition, so I make Hoppin' John on NYE every year. Greens for money, cornbread just because it tastes right. Hey, I can use all the good luck I can get.

- Scoop - 01-06-2003

Superstition aside, the greens (turnip or mustard), blackeyed peas (with pork jowls and dried hot red pepper) and corn bread (white, cast iron skillet and not sweet) to soak up the "pot liquor" of the peas, were both a symbolic and very real way to get back to earth after the rich holiday fare and excess. Of course, my grandmother set a pretty high standard for this humble ensemble, which is probably why I remember it so fondly (and always do someything along those lines on New Year's -- at least something with beans or peas!).

Good appetite from NY via Tennessee,

Scoop

- stevebody - 01-10-2003

Ah, Jeez...a man after me own heart! It's one of the minor miracles of modern winemaking that the Pyrenees Mountains not only separate France from Spain but separate an entire nation trying to rein in the warmth, pizazz, and sheer exuberance of Grenache from one in which even cheap bottles of the stuff will absolutely roll your sox down. The Borsao, Vina Alarba, Vina Borgia, the splendid and oddball Alma - all of these offer up the full range of old vine Garnacha (Grenache) in the way God and Mother Nature intended. The closest French bottling I've ever come across was the Domaine de la Janasse "Le Chaupin" Chateauneuf du Pape, 100 %Grenache and almost (gasp!) unrestrained. At $35 a bottle, though, I'd pass it up in a hot minute for any of the aforementioned Spaniards, all of which hover around Ten Bills. There are a few more that I can't recall, here at 1 a.m., but the Spanish seem to have a particular fondness for the grape and a real knack for vinifying it. I can heartily second the Borsao tip and recommend that anyone laboring under the impression that Spain is fixated on Tempranillo (okay, they are a little bit) seek out what they've done with French varietals. As a bargain Cabernet, the Rene Barbier (Yeah, that guy) Special Seleccion Long Maceration Cab, for around $12, is damned near unbeatable. And the Vega Sindoa Table Red (Tempranillo and Merlot) may just be the best cheap wine in the world. Thanks for bringing up the Borsao! God love a man who loves a bargain!

- zenda2 - 01-27-2003

This was a great wine for a stuporbowl party.

- hotwine - 01-28-2003

Wandering around Costco this morning, I circled the stack of Borsao cases a couple of times, wondering "Why does that name sound familiar?" Duh. Picked up a couple of bottles without making the connection, returned home and did a search, and bingo. You guys have been touting it for a year or so. Tried it tonight with tortellini and marinara sauce. She loved it, so I'm cleared for case purchase tomorrow.

- hotwine - 01-30-2003

Two cases now on hand.