WineBoard
2001 Torre Muga, Rioja, Spain - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Spanish Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: 2001 Torre Muga, Rioja, Spain (/thread-10354.html)

- TheEngineer - 10-28-2008

2001 Torres Muga, Rioja, Spain
This wine was the most overlooked of the night amongst its competition. Very deep purple in color, this was a big wine when it was opened, interesting mix of ripe berries, blue berries, tobacco, coffee, chocolate, herbs, etc without being too heavy, but over the four hour period, it become much more dense and one-dimensional. Might have had a chance if it did not come after the burgs.

- dananne - 10-29-2008

We've always liked Bodegas Muga, and we have had (or have in the cellar) every vintage since the '97. However, we tend to prefer the more traditional-styled Reservas to the more "New World" Torre Mugas. Probably a personal preference rather than a statement on quality, though.

- TheEngineer - 10-29-2008

DA,

I agree. I usually only purchase the Bodegas Muga which is both more to my taste and to my wallet. The wine is more balanced in my opinion and easier to drink. I had only purchased a 6 pack of the Torre Muga for the 2001 but have never purchased this one again. At 4 times the price of the standard bottle, it is an easy decision.

- dananne - 10-29-2008

A look-see at the ole cellar sheet shows that we've got 2 bottles of this Torre Muga '01. Any thoughts on a drinking window?

And, yes, the basic Muga Reserva is kinder to our wallets, too [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

- TheEngineer - 10-30-2008

DA,

To my taste, this is too much rioja so in order for it to tone down a bit more, I'm going to give it another 2-3 years before I try another one. It is impressive now if you want to try a bigger style but there is no rush. Color is still DARK, no aging rim, no nose of real secondary / tertiary aromas yet. Took about 3-4 hours to start to come together and when it did, it was still a big wine.

- wondersofwine - 10-30-2008

I agree that the more traditional Muga is more to my liking as well as being less expensive.

- dananne - 10-30-2008

Thanks for the advice, Eng, and while we're on the subject of secondary aromas and flavors, if you can find any '94 Gran Reservas that still show up on shelves from time to time (thanks to old Rioja producers aging their product before releasing it, thereby allowing me to hold onto my money and cellar space), particularly from the better "traditional" houses such as Murrieta, they're really singing right now. In fact, the Murrieta Castello Ygay Gran Reserva '94 has been one of my all-time faves for several years, but it seems to be drinking better and better every time I try one. Alas, we're down to 2 or 3 left, so I'll soon be out, even though it'd probably keep on keepin' on to 2014 or so. Highly recommended, though, if you're looking at a fine old Rioja with just a bit of bricking and wonderful secondary aromas and flavors.

Wonders -- If memory serves, weren't you able to try several different Muga wines at a tasting a short while ago? If so, I'm wondering if the newer Torre Mugas sort of clobbered the more restrained basic Reservas in a tasting flight.

- wondersofwine - 10-31-2008

It was some time ago that we tried three different Muga wines from 1994 and that was where I liked the more traditional one better than the Torre Muga. I ordered three bottles of the 2001 Muga Reserva and CWC was temporarily sold out but expecting more to come in so I'm not sure if they were set aside for me or not. I believe I do have some Muga on hand as well as Baroja Gran Reserva from several vintages.

- TheEngineer - 03-05-2012

Pulled another one of these to check on it and...oh...hmmm.... I hope that it is because of the travel and that it hadnot had time to settle down but one thing is noticable, this thing has AGED.... A LOT. I've never seen a wine this massive go from rich and fruit to brown, drying out and lacking any sort of balance. I'm thinking that this was a faulty bottle so I'll revisit this soon again but wow. Surprised everyone that had it before.