WineBoard
Spanish wines at Fayetteville Wine Society April meeting - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Spanish Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: Spanish wines at Fayetteville Wine Society April meeting (/thread-10330.html)

- wondersofwine - 04-25-2007

Along with some nice tapa dishes, we sampled 8 Spanish wines (four white, four red) for $15. The wines are also available for purchase in the next month at discounted prices for Society members. We were again provided with educational notes about Spanish wine regions with a small map and explanation of the four levels of wine classification from VdM (Vino de Mesa, table wine) through VT (Vino de la Tierra), to VCIG (Vinos de Calidad con Indicacion Geografica) which you can probably translate as have certain geographical prerequisites to DO Pago, DO and DOCa (Denominacion de Origen). DOCa is Denominacion de Origen Calificada which is awarded only to Rioja (in 1991) and Priorat (in 2000).

Whites:
1. Segura Viudas Reserva Heredad Cava
Uses five grapes including Chardonnay. Medium straw color. Scattered very tiny bubbles--not a central stream of bubbles. Detected some minerality, yeast and subdued fruit. A little on the austere side but popular with most of the attendees.

2. Pazo Serantellos Albarino, DO Rias Baixas
I was interested in trying this Albarino. It was a deeper green gold color that the Cava. It reminded me a bit of Muscadet and would be a good accompaniment to oysters, mussels, perhaps clams. Albarinos are known for flinty minerality and zippy acidity. This is from the region of Galicia just north of Portugal. The landscape there is said to be very green as in Ireland or Scotland and quite unlike the arid, dry mesa in some parts of Spain.

3. 2005 Montecillo Rioja Blanca, DOCa Rioja
100% from Viura grapes. Rioja is a mainly arid, dry mesa north of Madrid with the River or Rio Oja running through it--thus the name. Also Rio Duero runs east-west through this part of Spain and into Portugal. Rioja has three subzones, each with different soils and climate--Rioja Alta and Alavesa (limestone soils with concentrations of clay, chalk, iron and trace elements, and Rioja Baja with clay and alluvial (well draining) soils. I found the wine to be quite bland. Although we were told that it was not aged in wood, the women at my table who work in a wine shop thought it tasted like it spent some time in foudres and I thought about the only flavor present was a bit of wood, not much fruit. I have had Rioja Blanca before that was more inviting.

4. 2005 Torres Vina Esmerelda, DO Catalunya
(Northeastern Spain)
This was my favorite of the flight of white wines (the Albarino was my second choice). 85% Moscato and 15% Gewurztraminer. Paler color than the Rioja Blanco. Penetrating nose which goes right up the nostrils. Could pair with foods that might also go with an off-dry Riesling. I intend to buy some bottles of this at the discount price (about $14) and will probably post again on it this summer.

Reds:
1. 2005 Torres Sangre de Toro, DO Catalunya
(Blood of the bull) From Garnacha (Grenache) and Carimena (sp?) (Carignan)
A little plastic bull is attached to the bottle. I found a touch of oak in the nose and flavors. This was recommended as a good barbecue wine and as a lighter red for thirst quenching in a hot climate.

2. 2003 Legaris Crianza, DO Ribera del Duero
This was a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Tempranillo (called something else in this region I believe). Pretty crimson color. Nice nose. Female winemaker who started growing grapes in 1999 and 2000. I really liked this red and plan to buy a bottle (I think it was under $20 but don't have the price list with me).

3. 2001 Alzania Crianza, DO Navarra
From Cabernet Sauvignon, Garnacha (Grenache) and Tempranillo grapes. This winery also started in 1999. The wine was dark purple to black and opaque. Very concentrated fruit flavor. Leggy on the glass. Has the fruit and structure to give it aging potential. I will also buy a bottle of this and perhaps compare the two Crianza wines again at home. Right now I'm not sure which I prefer.

4. 2002 Marques de Riscal Rioja Reserva, DOCa Rioja
90% Tempranillo, 10% two other grapes, one being Graciano. Another wine where the nose penetrates up the nostrils. 26 mos. in oak barrels. This was the favorite of several at my table. I liked it but chose to purchase the Crianzas instead.

The team selecting the wines did a good job of covering many regions of Spain.

- hotwine - 04-25-2007

Nice notes, Jane, as usual. Thanks.

Regarding red #2: might the other name you thought you heard for Tempranillo have been Tinta Roriz? It's known by that name in Portugal.

- wondersofwine - 04-25-2007

I think that's it. I got tinto or tinta but not the second word. Thank you.

- brappy - 04-25-2007

Tinto Roble, I think.

- Drew - 04-26-2007

Great notes and will look for a few of the reds.

Drew

- VouvrayHead - 04-26-2007

That Vina Esmerelda is absolutely lovely.
It's much drier than an off-dry riesling, but that gorgeous moscato nose makes one think it's sweet. One of my favorite whites for the buck.

I like the Sergua Viudas Heredad quite a lot, too.

[This message has been edited by VouvrayHead (edited 04-26-2007).]

- TheEngineer - 04-28-2007

Thanks again for the pointers WOW.