WineBoard
Needing help on finding information on a Spanish wine. - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Spanish Wines/Varieties (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-35.html)
+--- Thread: Needing help on finding information on a Spanish wine. (/thread-10281.html)

- txangel155 - 08-28-2005

I recently helped my Grandfather move and came across a case of wine that he said I could have. The label on the wine is in Spanish and has my Grandfathers name on it saying it is bottled especially for him. I am trying to find out any information on what kind wine it is, the value of it, and anything else. If anyone knows a lot about spanish wine, or knows of someone or somewhere I can go (preferrably in the Dallas, TX area) who could help, I would be greatly appreciative.

- Drew - 08-28-2005

Welcome txangel. Please give us all of the information on the front and back label and we might be able to help.

Drew

There is no back label on the bottle of wine. Only a front label it says:
VINO FINO TINTO
Elaborado y embotellado en Mendoza, especialmente para la enoteca particular de Bottle especially for Mr.: C.M. Browning
Courtesy J. Stamparini & J. Castillo
Mendoza ~ Argentina
ENVASADO EN ORIGEN ~ PROCEDENCIA MENDOZA ~ ELABORADO Y ENVASADO POR BODEGA NO. 700
A-70670-PARA LB Y CIA.-ESPANA 1151-MENDOZA-INDUSTRIA ARGENTINA CONT. NETO OM3

On the top of the foil there is a small piece of paper that has printed on it FRACCIONADO EN ORIGEN DE 651 HASTA 750 cc
and NO COMUN, ESPUMANTE Y CHAMPANA. Then there is INVM-331247.PROV.71992 stamped on the top. Other than that, that is all that is on the bottle.

- Thomas - 08-28-2005

First of all, it is from Argentina, not Spain.

Secondly, unless your grandfather was a celebrity of some sort, the wine likely has no value at all--and, depending upon the vintage date, which you do not show in your label information, it might not even be drinkable.

I suggest you ask your grandfather under what circumstance the wine came to him. Plus, to find out about its drinkability, ask him if he'd like to share a glass or two with you.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 08-28-2005).]

Thank you for the advice. My Grandfather was not a celebrity, but is an extremely wealthy man. I opened one of the bottles the other night, and it tasted horrible. But I decanted it and came back about 6-8 hours later (not realizing that much time went by) and tried it again. It seemed to be almost a port quality of wine. I tried to ask my Grandfather about the wine but unfortunatly he has alzheimers disease and has no clue. That is why I came on here to see if any could help. Thank you so much for those who have replied. You have been much help.

[This message has been edited by txangel155 (edited 08-28-2005).]

- wondersofwine - 08-29-2005

It is apparently from the Tempranillo grape which is called Tinto Fino in Ribera del Duero and certain other parts of Spain. If the wine is quite old, it may have partially oxidized. Was the color a vibrant red or leaning more toward browns? Champana refers to a sparkling wine made in the method Champenoise (made in the style of Champagne). Espumante might mean made with bubbles. Did the wine exhibit any bubbles upon first opening the bottle? It may only be saying that this company also produces bubbly and sparkling wines, not that that is what is in this bottle.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 08-29-2005).]

- txangel155 - 08-29-2005

When I opened the wine, it had a dull red/brown color to it and was not bubbly at all. It was very acidic and had a lot of tannins.