WineBoard
What wines go with what foods... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: What wines go with what foods... (/thread-1022.html)

- 1stxdrinker - 12-30-2004

Hi...I am treating my boyfriend of which will be 1yr on the 22nd of Jan. to a romantic night in one of Oklahoma City's finest resturants...I would like to have a little knowledge of wines when we go out...but i have never had the expeirence of wine before...food choices at this restuarnt are seafood, steaks, and pasta...could someone give some tips as what wines go with each of these foods...I greatly appreciate your time...Thank you,

Sarah
aka 1stxdrinker

[This message has been edited by 1stxdrinker (edited 12-30-2004).]

- Innkeeper - 12-30-2004

Hi Sarah, and welcome to the Wine Board. Sauvignon Blanc goes with shellfish. It also goes with unadorned finfish. Fish in sauces call for Chardonnay. Steaks call for Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot. Red pasta calls for Chianti, and white pasta calls for Pinot Grigio. This is a bare bones crash course.

If you have time,look for Andrea Immer's "Great Tastes Made Simple" which is a book on wine and food pairing. Her most recent book, the title of which eludes me, is on the same subject.

- wondersofwine - 12-30-2004

If it's a fine restaurant, the server should be able to help suggest wines (however, from my experience in Oklahoma City for a conference in 2002, the restaurants run mostly to good steaks and don't always have knowledgeable servers). Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Bordeaux wines or Bordeaux-type blended wines usually pair well with steaks, roast beef, etc. A California Meritage is a Bordeaux-like blended wine with grapes from Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, maybe some Cabernet Franc or Petit Verdot). Keep in mind that young California Cabernets are usually tannic and taste a bit harsh. A Merlot might make for smoother drinking. A red Zinfandel is sometimes a nice match for barbequed beef or pork. Many seafood dishes (shrimp, lobster, crab, trout, sea bass, etc.) call for a white wine. You might consider a Chardonnay with lobster and drawn butter, or a Sauvignon Blanc (preferably one not aged in wood), Pinot Grigio or Riesling for trout and such (ask for a dry or semi-dry Riesling). An exception to the white wine with seafood standard is grilled salmon which matches nicely with a mild to medium-bodied Pinot Noir. With pasta in a white sauce (such as Fettucine Alfredo) you will probably want a white wine. With pasta in a tomato or meat sauce you might consider Chianti, Valpolicella, or other Italian red wines.

thank you for your reply...i went to this restuarants website to look at their wine list...and under Sauvignon Blanc there is like a crap load of different wines. haha. We will probably order steak...I was looking under the Cabernet list...Catena, Agrela vineyards, Argentina 1999...would this be ok? i'm shooting in the dark here...once again thanks...the restuarant is Nikz At the Top...
sarah

[This message has been edited by 1stxdrinker (edited 12-30-2004).]

- hotwine - 12-30-2004

Welcome to the board, Sarah. The restaurant has Wine Sectator's "Award of Excellence", and their prices reflect that. Suggest you let your expectations (and budget) direct your menu and wine selections. Looks like entrees are $25+ and decent wines $60+, so you're looking at a minimum of $50 for food and $60 for wine, plus 15% gratuity for Min of $126.50, plus any local tax added for OKC. Personally, I would test the restaurant's reputation by ordering steaks, likely the NY strips, and get a nice Cal Cab to go with it.... that might drive the wine price to the $80-$90 range, making the total about $160 plus tax. Don't mean to be crass, but ask yourself what you want from the evening.... a proposal (honorable or otherwise), or simply to say thanks for a fun year together, whatever. In a place like that, you can drop a nice load of change pretty quickly. Knowing beforehand what to expect from the menu and winelist can be very helpful.

In my eyes...a proposal would be wonderful...but honestly...i don't think he will...although i did get to pick out engagement rings...it would be nice to find a ring at the bottom of a wine bottle...thank you for your response...and say a wish for me...
sarah

- Drew - 12-31-2004

Looking at their wine list they're pretty steep on the cabs but the better quality/value offerings are their merlots,zins and others like the 97 rosemont show reserve. Enjoy a nice wine at not SO inflated prices as some of those listed and buy a special bottle at retail to share alone apart from the restaurant.

Drew