WineBoard
suitable wines to go with wedding menu, to purchase in France - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: suitable wines to go with wedding menu, to purchase in France (/thread-1017.html)

- chris morgans - 02-01-2000

My fiance and I get married on 5th May. Our guests at the reception will be offered a starter of fresh salmon and the main course will be roast spring lamb with all the trimmings.
We are going to visit France for a few days in a couple of weeks (the exchange rate is excellent etc.) to visit Epernay to buy the Champagne but would also like to buy both Red and White wines (at least one type of each) in bulk to go with the food.
Our preference would be to visit the region as we will with the Champagne but this is probably not practical as we are only there for 3 days. Hence we will be buying from some retail source.
Any thoughts / comments would be welcomed.

- mrdutton - 02-03-2000

For the Salmon I'd suggest you might like to try a Chardonnay from Macon or Pouilly-Fuisse or maybe even a Champagne Blanc de Blanc.

For the Lamb I'd suggest a Chateauneuf-du-Pape or maybe a Beaujolais (Beaujolais cru or Beaujolais-Villages).

You might want to check with your local wine merchant and ask him for suggestions. That way you can go over seas with some notes, thoughts and ideas.

Please enjoy your trip, whatever your decision on wine.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 02-03-2000).]

- Innkeeper - 02-04-2000

Would go with a Grand Cru Beaujolais with the Salmon. All are excellent in recent vintages (1997-98) and the 1999's are supposed to be as good. Take your pick Brouilly, Chiroubles (our favorite), Fleurie, Julienas, or Morgon.

- mrdutton - 02-04-2000

As a stand-alone the Beaujolais Cru along with salmon sounds like an wonderful pairing.

And it might even work well with a dinner where more than one wine is served but I'd want a more powerful red to be served with the lamb.

However, variety being "the spice of life," I'd still suggest sticking with some traditions which seem to work rather well: white before red, light before intense, dry before sweet and minor before fine or rare [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] .

White wine with the Salmon and red wine with the lamb seems the simplist approach in this case and probably the most pleasing to the greatest number of people.

[However, pairing a medium bodied red with the salmon and then a more intense red with the lamb could be fun, and interesting.]

I'd plan my menu like this:

Salmon - white wine
Lamb - red wine (medium if little or no spice)
Lamb - red wine (assertive if the lamb is spiced)
Cake - Sweet Champagne

I know that is the tradtional way, but sometimes traditional does not hurt.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 02-04-2000).]

- Innkeeper - 02-04-2000

Nothing wrong with a light red before a full bodied one. Love to ask for Chiroubles in this country a try to maintain composure when the jackass behind the counter asks, "Chernoble?!"

- mrdutton - 02-04-2000

Innkeeper.........

Oh yes, "Chernobile" the ice wine with a bite to it - or is that a solid punch?

I've not tried the Chiroubles. Is there a producer you'd recommend? What about the cooperative "La Maison des Vignerons a Chiroubles?"

- Innkeeper - 02-04-2000

Was actually referring to the place with improper spelling where the nuclear meltdown occurred. Right now we are working on a case of 1997 Chiroubles, Domaine Des Tilleuls, George Duboeuf. Got it from Pops for $105.21 plus modest S&H. Had a bottle tonight with Eggplant Parmesean. Wonderful.

- mrdutton - 02-04-2000

I'll have to check that out.

Pop's is a wonderful place, isnt' it?

I've ordered a half-case just to try it. I might even like it!

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 02-05-2000).]