WineBoard
Help with wine for wedding - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Help with wine for wedding (/thread-1006.html)

- newbie74 - 06-30-2005

Hi there, my fiance an I are getting married at the end of July and would like some help chosing the right wines. I have some very stuffy old relatives who arewine buffs on my side family, and not wanting to let the side down I'm putting out a plea for help.

The menu is as follows:

Starter
smoked Salmon and asparagus bavarois
Main
Lamb shank with parmesan mash and rosemary jus
Desert
white, milk and dark choclate torte with a mano coulis and caramelised peach.

Not sure if to serve desert wines or move straight onto the champagne.

I'm planning to go over to France to buy the wines and spend a couple of days tasting. Just so I find the right one ;-)

- wondersofwine - 06-30-2005

Welcome to the board. We enjoy international postings.
Sounds like a great menu. I usually pair salmon with a light- to medium-bodied Pinot Noir (red Burgundy in France) but with the asparagus I think a Sauvignon Blanc from Sancerre would be a better choice for the first course. Reverdy, Cotat, Cottat, Salomon, Mellot, and others are all reputable producers. Try to find a 2000 or 2002 vintage rather than the atypical 2003 wines.
The lamb shank would pair well with Syrah or red Burgundy. Perhaps a Croze Hermitage or Santenay or Marsannay (Bruno Clair is a reputable producer in Marsannay) or a Jadot Clos des Ursules from Beaune depending somewhat on your budget. The Croze Hermitage are usually not very expensive in the USA and probably less in France with Eurodollars.
I think you have the option of pairing the dessert with Champagne or a dessert wine. The caramelized peach would be attractive with Sauternes or a peachy German Riesling such as an Auslese from the Nahe, Pfalz or Rheingau regions (perhaps from Kurt Darting). For a Sauternes you might consider one from Guiraud or Doisy Vedrines but this would get pricy if you have a large wedding. Again it depends a lot on your budget and you might save expense by going to the Champagne and toasting with that. The chocolates match better with Banyuls, certain Ports, a red sparkling wine such as Banfi Rosa Regale Brachetto d'Acqui than with the Sauternes or German Rieslings. (The Rosa Regale is a fun wine--but not stuffy). Others will probably weigh in with additional suggestions.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 06-30-2005).]

- wdonovan - 07-02-2005

A suggestion on the "Champagne". I just found a non-Champagne French bubbly that's outrageous for the money. It's Blanquette de Limoux, sold in the USA as St. Hilaire. It's made the same way as Champagne in fact it tastes like a NV brut that's much more expensive. I guess it's so cheap because nobody knows about it (oh well, there goes my best bubbly bargain). Do a web search or ask a local dealer. I'm paying about $11 a bottle by the case US.