WineBoard
N/V Barros 10 yr old Tawny Porto - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Port/Other Fortifieds/Stickies (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-30.html)
+--- Thread: N/V Barros 10 yr old Tawny Porto (/thread-10024.html)

- Innkeeper - 05-01-2005

N/V Barros 10 yr old Tawny Porto ($22.50 The Clown, Belfast). 20% Alcohol. If you like nutty Port this is the one for you. In addition there are globs of fruit of all descriptions. Simply lovely. Believe it or not, we hauled this one from here on our whole recent trip without opening. Had to wait until we got home.

Opened this the other night, and finished it tonight after a hard day of working the library tea fundraiser, and rushing home in the middle to sign our contract. It matched splendidly with cheese and pepperoni. Try it, you'll like it.

- jmcginley1 - 05-01-2005

wow, sounds lovely.

- Kcwhippet - 05-02-2005

If you like the 10 year old, you'll love the 20 year old Barros Tawny. Pair it with some Stilton and some walnuts. Mmmm!

- wondersofwine - 05-02-2005

It sounds like a tawny I would enjoy. I like them with the flavors of nuts and dried fruits but not too sweet. And IK, thank you for helping with a library fundraiser. I went Saturday night to a fundraiser for Cumberland (County) Oratorio Singers (one of the members of my church sings with them--at one time we had about four members in the group). It included a wine auction (silent bids) so I donated six bottles--four reds and two whites. I ended up bringing home two of my own bottles--no one else bid on the Oregon Pinot Noir so I brought it home for $10 and I outbid someone else on the Eric Ross Old Vine Zinfandel. (Most expensive wines at the silent auction were a Dom Perignon Champagne and a 1988 Ridge Monte Bello--both with a minimum bid of $150). We were entertained by four vocal soloists (three sopranos and a bass-baritone) with piano accompaniment, and a trumpeter. I know one of the pianists. It was a high-level of vocal talent. An enjoyable evening. I also won one of four plants raffled off--a huge coleus. After taking up the backseat of my car, I decided I didn't really have room for the plant at home so took it to church and ended up giving it to a church member who was celebrating her 50th birthday.

- Georgie - 05-02-2005

Wine and good music....my kind of night!

- wondersofwine - 05-02-2005

Yes, very nice Georgie. My main gripe--here they were auctioning some nice wines and the two wines they had available to accompany the nice repast provided by the board members were a Crane Lake Chardonnay and a Crane Lake Merlot. (Wine snob that I am, I had a Sprite). One web site says that Crane Lake is the same thing as two-buch Chuck (Charles Shaw)--that it is an alternate label since Trader Joe has exclusive rights to the Charles Shaw. Does anyone ITB know if this is true? That same website has people praising the wine as "better than
Woodbridge" (not much of a recommendation) and giving it a rating of 88 or 90!

I wanted to open one of the wines in the silent auction to have with my food but couldn't do so because the bidding hadn't closed. If they do this event next year, maybe I'll donate wines for the hors d'oeuvres as well as the auction!